Saturday, June 26, 2010

Views over Kata & Karon Beach

There is one famous viewpoint that overlooks Kata and Karon Beach which is named Kata Viewpoint or Karon Viewpoint either way they are amazingly original names don't you think? Well just to inform those who are not familiar with these two beaches. Kata and Karon beach are situated on the Western coast of Phuket and are two of the few famous beaches here in Phuket.



Although Kata Viewpoint is a very beautiful place to overlook Kata and Karon, I have discovered another spot. I will for this instance name it Kata-Karon Beach Viewpoint number two... Unlike the other Kata Viewpoint where you can find shops and a mass amount of tourists this one has nothing. I discovered it by chance as I like to take unmarked roads in the hope of finding amazing new sights.

If you take the road going up toward Kata viewpoint coming from Nai Harn then just before you reach Kata viewpoint you will see a road to the left. Follow this road and it will take you to Kata-Karon Viewpoint number two...


It is a very long and winding road that seems like it will go on forever. I thought I was heading down to another beach and that was the whole reason for me to ride down there as I wanted to find another beach. After a few minutes of riding along the road in between the thick forest I eventually reached a dirt road. Where the tarmac road ended the dirt road began I guess most people would turn around and head back up the safe tarmac road to civilisation. but not me... I decided to venture on and boldly go where no farang has been before.
(Farang is the Thai word for foreigner) 

The dirt road was very bumpy and had quite a few holes and cracks, but it still didn't stop me. I am so glad that I continued as as I rode my scooter up the side of the mountain I felt like I was the only man in Phuket with the cool sea breeze and the salty smell of the Andaman Sea, I had a mountain full of various types of trees to my left and to my right there was a sheer drop into the crashing waves. Then I looked back and saw Kata and Karon Beach. It was truly breathtaking.
There was some evidence of builders being there and there were also some bike tracks so I am assuming they plan to build a resort or a house there at some point. I mean there must be some plans for something otherwise why would there be a tarmac road leading to nothing?

There are some very steep hills leading to and from this amazing viewpoint so if you are traveling with two people on a scooter then an automatic scooter would be advised, but either way I am sure you will love it when you arrive.

2 comments:

  1. Came across your blog link in Facebook Robin - WoW looks like a great place to holiday well it must be because you stayed? lol -

    Only problem I can see looking in from the UK is the travel time - it sure is a long way from the UK - can you do a blog about your traveling experiences like the travel time and the best deals the most inexpensive way to get to Phuket - You never no I might be tempted to fly out there and experience these great sight's and cool places you have kindly shared with one and all - as you wrote

    Life in Phuket is fantastic and is so relaxed and chilled out, much more relaxed than anywhere I have lived before. That being said I have only ever lived in Major cities like Kuala Lumpur and London – Well apart from when I lived in the tiny town of Ballina located in the west of Ireland in county Mayo.

    When I first visited Phuket in May 2007 I stayed in Patong and didn’t really know anything else about Phuket other than the crazy tourist packed beach and the amazing unique nightlife that Patong is so famous for.

    But since I actually moved here I have discovered that Phuket has so much more to offer and I guess that’s one of the reasons I am writing this blog. To show everyone that Phuket is and should be one of the top places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phillip,
    Thanks for your comment. I totally agree with you so I will write something about traveling here next.

    ReplyDelete